Sunday, January 4, 2015

Injured once again

Guess what?! I got a job in bishop! But wasn't goingto start it until after the holidays so I decided to surprise my family and go home for Christmas.

Being back home and getting to see my family was great. Plus I got to see a ton of my friends from Salinas. It was great to be able to see everyone from back there. I was even able to climb two of the days over at my old stomping grounds castle rock state park. My brother Steve and our friend Spencer accompanied me there a couple days before Christmas. Unfortunately I was unable to send any of my projects but it was fun getting to show some people around castle. Steve and Spencer were crushing and I got some of their climbs on vid.(insert link)

On the second day, a day or two after Christmas, me and a group of local developers along with my brother went to a new, or maybe rediscovered, area to climb and possibly put up some new climbs. I was able to put up two new lines and also add sit starts to two others. They were all in the v2-v4 range. After climbing most of what the area had to offer we took off. There were a few climbs there that I need to go back and finish because I was unable to complete them. I want to give a shot out to my friends Clay and Chris for establishing the area!

After Christmas I stayed until my mom's birthday and helped clean her garage cause that's what she wanted.  ;-) I also got a new phone while I was back there. I got an android phone this time wanting to go away from the iPhone to see which I liked more. I went with the galaxy s5 because of its supposed durability and weatherproofness and so far I don't have many complaints.

After all that I left to go back to Bishop. Luckily some friends were in town so I meet up with them and got to chill with them in their hotel room for new years eve and day. The first day I was chillin with them I decided to try another repeat of Seven Spanish Angels, a v6 on get carter boulder. Now, I had already been going easy on my right foot because my Achilles tendon had been sore since my trips to castle the previous week. Since it wasn't hurting too bad that day I thought it might be OK to mess around on SSA as long as I didn't put my climbing shoes, but I was sorely mistaken. The second time of trying it in my approach shoes I fell from half way up. Which isn't very high but since my tendon was already in poor condition that fall was the straw that broke the camels back.

Now I've been off of it for about a week and s half. Today I went to the buttermilks to try iron man footless to see how I would fare on a climb where I was close to the ground and didn't need to use my feet. I sent it in about three goes then meet up with some friends on the far side of the milks. I also met up with Daniel Woods and his crew yesterday and today and got to chill worth them for a couple hours. (Man I wish I could climb! )
All in all the big lesson to be learned here is if you're doing preventive maintenence on your body you won't get injured so easily. So I need to stretch every day now or else I'm going to keep running into problems Like these.

Well until next time I'm signing off.

-The Irish King

No comments:

Post a Comment